Click to get your own widget

Friday, July 29, 2011

Benjamin Franklin Quotes

Ben Franklin Quotes
  I have a particular admiration for people who are successful in more than one field of endeavour. Benjamin Franklin started poor yet was a successful leading author, printer, political theorist, politician, postmaster, scientist, musician, inventor, satirist, civic activist, statesman, and diplomat. If he didn't write the US Consittution he did influence some clauses and as representative to France he did persuade the French government to enter the war against Britain - something without which it is difficult to see how the US could have won the war of independence.

     This level of all round competence has never been demonstraed before or since by any political leader so I think he is qualified to be the smartest politician who ever lived. This may be obscured tom historians because so much of what he wrote was deliberately writen to be undersood by ordinary people and nowadays sounds like "homespun philosophy". Nope - it is very well spun indeed with not a word saying more, or less, than intended.

      A selection:

I think opinions should be judged of by their influences and effects, and if a man holds none that tend to make him less virtuous or more vicious, it may be concluded that he holds none that are dangerous; which I hope is the case with me.
-
Remember that time is money.
-
For my own Part, when I am employed in serving others, I do not look upon myself as conferring Favours, but as paying Debts. In my Travels, and since my Settlement, I have received much Kindness from Men, to whom I shall never have any Opportunity of making the least direct Return. And numberless Mercies from God, who is infinitely above being benefited by our Services. Those Kindnesses from Men, I can therefore only Return on their Fellow Men
-
Love your Enemies, for they tell you your Faults.
-
[on a book promoting aethiesm) I shall only give you my Opinion that tho’ your Reasonings are subtle, and may prevail with some Readers, you will not succeed so as to change the general Sentiments of Mankind on that Subject, and the Consequence of printing this Piece will be a great deal of Odium drawn upon your self, Mischief to you and no Benefit to others. He that spits against the Wind, spits in his own Face. But were you to succeed, do you imagine any Good would be done by it? You yourself may find it easy to live a virtuous Life without the Assistance afforded by Religion; you having a clear Perception of the Advantages of Virtue and the Disadvantages of Vice, and possessing a Strength of Resolution sufficient to enable you to resist common Temptations. But think how great a Proportion of Mankind consists of weak and ignorant Men and Women, and of inexperienc’d and inconsiderate Youth of both Sexes, who have need of the Motives of Religion to restrain them from Vice, to support their Virtue
-
Idleness and Pride Tax with a heavier Hand than Kings and Parliaments; If we can get rid of the former we may easily bear the Latter.
'
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
-
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-
All Wars are Follies, very expensive, and very mischievous ones. When will Mankind be convinced of this, and agree to settle their Differences by Arbitration? Were they to do it, even by the Cast of a Dye, it would be better than by Fighting and destroying each other.
-
There never was a good war or a bad peace. {Not personally convinced this is always true but it is good rule of thumb]
-
In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution, with all its faults, — if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of government but what may be a blessing to the people, if well administered; and I believe, farther, that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other.
-
the honest heretic Dr. Priestly. I do not call him honest by way of distinction; for I think all the heretics I have known have been virtuous men. They have the virtue of fortitude or they would not venture to own their heresy; and they cannot afford to be deficient in any of the other virtues, as that would give advantage to their many enemies; and they have not like orthodox sinners, such a number of friends to excuse or justify them. Do not, however mistake me. It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic.
-
The art of concluding from experience and observation consists in evaluating probabilities, in estimating if they are high or numerous enough to constitute proof. This type of calculation is more complicated and more difficult than one might think. It demands a great sagacity generally above the power of common people. The success of charlatans, sorcerors, and alchemists — and all those who abuse public credulity — is founded on errors in this type of calculation.
-
As to Jesus of Nazareth, my Opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the System of Morals and his Religion, as he left them to us, the best the world ever saw or is likely to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupt changes, and I have, with most of the present Dissenters in England, some Doubts as to his divinity; tho' it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and I think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon an Opportunity of knowing the Truth with less Trouble.
-
Most People dislike Vanity in others whatever Share they have of it themselves, but I give it fair Quarter wherever I meet with it, being persuaded that it is often productive of Good to the Possessor and to others that are within his Sphere of Action
-
So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it enables one to find or make a Reason for everything one has a mind to do.
-
In reality there is perhaps no one of our natural Passions so hard to subdue as Pride...For even if I could conceive that I had completely overcome it, I should probably be proud of my Humility
-
as we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of Others, we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
-
Human Felicity is produc'd not so much by great Pieces of good Fortune that seldom happen, as by little Advantages that occur every Day.

Labels: ,


Comments:
A few years ago an American physicist decided that Franklin had lied about his famous experiment with the kite and the key in the thunderstorm: old Ben hadn't done it. I don't know how well his argument stood up to scrutiny. I do know that the Founding fathers are the secular saints of the American Foundation myth, subject to hagiographies rather than critical scrutiny. And yet, at the time, plenty of American loathed them.
 
Always I love Benjamin Franklin quotes compilation. I have collected many quotes from you. Thanks for sharing!! You may like- http://www.quoteschart.com/Benjamin-Franklin-quotes

 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

British Blogs.